Name:
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, United States

IOU strives to share the experience and appreciation of the great outdoors by facilitating the organization of economical cost-shared trips, arranging informative programs, teaching respect for the environment, providing opportunities for leadership development and experiencing new aspects of the outdoors. We will strive to: * Attain the highest standards * Act in an open and responsible manner * Provide a broad variety of activities * Provide education about outdoor activities and environmental issues

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

IOU Living History Farms Off-Road Race...

By, Sara Hollerich

This is the second year I have done this 10k race. Although it is physically trying, I had a great time. I think one of my favorite parts is to see how everyone dresses up. This year there was even a Chinese dragon, girls in tutus, smurfs, and a bunch of people wearing nice suits. What a pity, I don’t think they will be seeing a boardroom again.

All together there were nine IOU members running the race. We had a great time too. There is nothing like running through fields, avoiding cow pies, jumping in ice cold streams and climbing fences to get your blood flowing.

It always amazes me how many people run the race. I think there were about 5,000 people this year. It seems like you always run into at least one person you know. I think all of us ran into someone. Delite even ran into some old college friends she hadn’t seen in a years.

Note, if you run the race it is suggested that you wear tights or shorts because pants will just weigh you down.

I started the race with just a bit too much zest and wore myself out pretty quickly. Lee, Amanda, and I started running together but I lost them somewhere just before the first stream. Eventually Amanda and I found each other again and finished out the race together offering support to each other to help us keep going. I ended up finishing the race almost 15 minutes faster than I did last year.

Scott ran it the fastest in 56 minutes. Great job Scott.

Members who ran the race: Sara, Scott M., Doug P., Anna M., Delite, Amanda, Lee, Melissa, and Jared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home