Name:
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, United States

IOU strives to share the experience and appreciation of the great outdoors by facilitating the organization of economical cost-shared trips, arranging informative programs, teaching respect for the environment, providing opportunities for leadership development and experiencing new aspects of the outdoors. We will strive to: * Attain the highest standards * Act in an open and responsible manner * Provide a broad variety of activities * Provide education about outdoor activities and environmental issues

Saturday, December 10, 2005

IOU Christmas Party...

By, Sara Hollerich

If you have never been to the HuHot I would suggest a trip. It is a great place to enjoy a nice evening out and have a unique dining experience. However, if you’re going on a weekend and have a large party of people, make sure to have a small group arrive about 45 minutes early. They don’t take reservations so it is first come first serve. They did a great job getting our party of 15 a table in a reasonable amount of time. It only took a little over an hour. Thank goodness there are a bunch of shops near by to help pass the time. We made a trip over to Boarders and went Christmas shopping while we were waiting.

If you haven’t been to HuHot it is a Mongolian restaurant. You go through a line and pick out your own meat, noodles, vegetables, and then make your own sauce. They were both great and the best part is you get to go back as many times as you wish to sample different creations. I made seafood dish followed by a spicy chicken dish, they both turned out pretty great. I guess I should tell you that everything you have selected is raw and once you have your creation you stand in line and the cooks cook your dinner for you.

The company was a lot of fun as well. I didn’t get a chance to visit with everyone, as out table was pretty long, but we had new members join charter members. Being a young group this was a great chance for everyone to get to know one another and it is always fun to meet other outdoor enthusiasts. We almost closed down the restaurant before we hit Court Ave.

The plan was to meet at the corner of Court and 4th. As I was crossing the crosswalk a snowball whizzed past me, the next couple hit their mark. I was under attack and had to place to run and hide. My first instinct was to run away but then I realized that I didn’t have anywhere to go and I was in the middle of the street so I attempted to push forward. Just then another found its mark and I flung myself forward which caused my contact to eject from my eye. Between the mud, snow and street I figured that looking for it was a lost cause. I guess I should also mention that I am nearly blind without my contacts. This made the remainder of the evening quite interesting.

We proceeded to the Hessen Haus, which is this nice German bar on 4th street a block or two from Court Ave. The party continued there and we met up with a couple more IOU members. Because I no longer had a contact I kept winking at everyone which got us some pretty weird looks. Anyhow the evening was quite a bit of fun. We ended the High Life Lounge, nearly closing down the bar.